The petition which was signed by three candidates contesting the seat called for several ballot boxes to be set aside.
The ballot boxes in question are:
- Ballot box 58, Team 58 covering villages Tokio to Uruna
- Ballot box 59 Team 59 marked for Tafade to Miku
- Ballot box 60 Team 60 marked for Iri Tumu to Kulama villages
- Ballot box 61 Team 61 marked for Sasurauda to Kabisa villages
- Ballot box 62 team 62 marked for Woitape
The candidates, led by Mathew Poia, alleged foul play had been committed resulting in illegally marked ballot papers, intimidation, harassment, and the hijacking of the electoral process.
They claim the alleged actions were carried out by sitting MP, William Samb and his supporters, including presiding officers.
They also claimed to have video evidence of the alleged actions.
Maia told the candidates and their supporters in the presence of police that he notes the petition but will proceed with counting.
He said any disputes they have can be taken to court.
Meanwhile counting progresses.