The contestants met for the first time for the 31st Annual MPIP 2017 with an official gathering in Nadi, Fiji, recently.
CEO of the Samoa Tourism Authority, Papali’i Sonja Hunter, said: “The Miss Pacific Islands Pageant, since its inception in 1985, was established primarily to foster, expand knowledge and share intelligence and talents of our young Pacific ladies.
“The Miss Pacific Islands has always been known as a ‘Pageant with a Difference’.”
She added that it is an opportunity to encourage the Pacific Islands, its diverse cultures, the beauty of its interesting holiday destinations, through the cleverly choreographed representations by talented and intelligent contestants.
The Pageant theme of ‘Climate Change Action to Sustain our Islands’ reflects the continuing environmental challenges faced by the Pacific Islands due to the harsh effects of climate change, and the Pacific peoples’ resilience and unity to protect its environment.
Hunter acknowledged the reigning Miss Pacific Islands, Anne Dunn, for her hard work in the past 12 months and congratulated her for completing her Bachelor of Law degree and becoming a legal counsellor.
She further acknowledged the support and contribution of the Miss Pacific Islands Pageant board of directors and host countries over the last 31 years.
During the official gathering, the contestants picked their order of appearance and their respective topics for their pre-pageant interviews, which are:
- Miss Nauru – Tansy Angelique Itsimaera – Gender Equality
- Miss Solomon Islands – Emily Chan – Education
- Miss Papua New Guinea – Niawali Anastacia Twain – Tourism
- Miss Rapa Nui – Tiare Pakarati – Politics
- Miss Samoa – Alexandra Iakopo – Culture
- Miss Cook Islands – Enerstina Pokuia Bonsu-Maro – Climate Change Action to Sustain our Islands
- Miss Tonga – Ophelia Kitiliti Kava – Technology
- Miss Fiji – Hally Qaqa – Environment
- Miss American Samoa – Matauaina Gwendolyn To’omalatai – Health
The judged events are spread throughout four nights of competition on the different categories of pre-pageant interview, opening performance and introduction, sarong, traditionally inspired attire, stage interview and talent.
The event starts from December 6-9.